To be eligible for enrollment in the Italian university system, you must be at least 17 years old and have completed 12 years of schooling.

Students with Italian nationality or of another EU country or permanent residents in Italy may apply directly to their chosen university or institution of higher education.

Information about the enrollment procedures must be sourced at each university.

Students can enroll to Italian Universities through an online registration procedure at each University.

Once the registration is completed, each student will receive an identification number (matricola) which will be required to pay university taxes and to register for exams.

Once you have selected your Italian degree program, verify if it requires an admission test. Entry to undergraduate degree programs can either be restricted or open, or can be subject to a motivational test or entry examination.

The calendar of admission tests can be found on the universities’ websites.

A national entry test is required to attend  the following university programs:

  • Architecture
  • Medicine and Surgery
  • Dentistry
  • Veterinary Medicine
  • Health Care Professions
  • Educational Sciences


Any University or Institution of Higher Education may require admission tests for other courses in addition to those listed.



  • Original pre-enrollment application and two copies;
    • The pre-enrollment application must be submitted through the Italian diplomatic or consular representation in your Country usually from February to the end of July. Please check on the website of the competent Italian Foreign Mission in your Country.
  • Original high school diploma or a copy officially accompanied by a translation in Italian language officially legalized by the Italian competent Consulate;
  • Declaration of value (Dichiarazione di Valore)
    • The Declaration of Value certifies the validity of your Diploma and that you are entitled to enter University. This document is issued by the Italian Diplomatic Representative related to the high school degree.

For more information visit the following websites:

Academic recognition

Recognition and equivalence of foreign qualifications

  • Proof of academic eligibility for University study in the country of origin (check Recognition of Qualifications);
  • Two photographs, one of which is authenticated by the competent Italian diplomatic/consular representation;
  • Italian Proficiency Requirements or English certificates according to the language of the program.

Demonstration of knowledge of Italian language skills is mandatory for enrolling at Universities and Institutions of Higher Education in Italy for all courses in Italian.

Language exams are not compulsory for those who:

  • Have an Italian high school diploma (obtained in Italy or abroad);
  • Have a supplementary Middle School diploma attained in Argentina, confirming attendance in an Italian-language curriculum for at least 5 years;
  • Have a diploma in Italian culture and language issued by the University for Foreigners of Perugia and Siena;
  • Have a B2 or higher level language proficiency certificate issued by one of the members of the CLIQ (Quality Certification of the Italian Language) Association [Certification].


Some universities offer study programs in English. In these cases, an Italian language test is not required. Only for programs held in English, a valid English language certificate is required.

For further information on Italian Proficiency Certificates follow the link below:


In case you are enrolling for non-single cycle degree courses (two-year Master’s degrees or Italian “Master” diplomas), you must provide a copy of Bachelor degree or post-secondary diploma from universities or institutions of higher education, officially certified by the Italian diplomatic consular representation (validation).


Uni-Italia Office

If you are a student from China, Iran, India, Indonesia or Vietnam, you can ask help and support to Uni-Italia Centres. You will meet and contact competent persons who are able to answer to your inquiries about study in Italy and to support you during the pre-enrollment procedures. For more information about Uni-Italia and its centres, please visit the follow webpage: www.uni-italia.net