Ready to start your Italian life? Below you will find a list of tips to arrange your stay in Italy and feel immediately at home.

Personal Tax Code 

The “Codice Fiscale” (Italian Tax Code) is an alphanumeric code of 16 characters issued for free by the Italian Revenue Agency (Agenzia delle Entrate - to identify Italian citizens and foreign residents when dealing with public offices or administration. The request can be made at any Local Offices of the Italian Internal Revenue Service (

You need to have your own “codice fiscale” to:

  • enroll at an Italian university;
  • open a bank account;
  • sign any type of contract (rental, phone line, etc.);
  • register at the National Healthcare Service (SSN).

At the “Ufficio delle Entrate” you will be asked to fill in a specific form for the issue of your "codice fiscale". You’ll need to show you passport or other ID. Please make sure that your name is the same on every form. Keep it in the same order and always use the same surname, if you have more than one.

You must bring your passport. If you are from a non-EU country, you may be asked to show your residence permit receipt.