As soon as you arrive in Italy, we would be very grateful if you could fill and return the SELF-DECLARATION AFFIDAVIT (Modulo di Dichiarazione sostitutiva di certificazione per vincitori di borsa), duly dated and properly signed, which is downloadable below.The self-declaration has to be sent as soon as possible within fifteen days after your arrival to the contact person for your country at this office. The complete list of contacts can be found on the "Call for applications" page.

Please consider that if the declaration is not received by the deadline, the processing of your Grant payment might be delayed.

In order to complete the declaration, you will need the Italian Tax Code and an Italian Bank Account/Poste Italiane account (with the IBAN number).




The Italian Tax Code (Codice Fiscale) is an alphanumeric code of 16 characters freely issued by the Italian Revenue Agency (Agenzia delle Entrate - to identify Italian citizens and foreign residents when dealing with public offices or administration. The request can be made at any Local Offices of the Italian Internal Revenue Service (

You must bring your valid passport and,  if you are from a non-EU country, the residence permit receipt. You will be asked to fill out a request form. Please, be very careful when indicating your biographical data.


You need to have your own “Italian Tax Code” to:

  • open a bank account;

  • sign any type of contract (rental, phone line, …);

  • register at the National Healthcare Service (SSN)



In order to receive the Grant payment, please make sure to open a regular checking account and NOT another type of bank service which offers wire payment services such as prepaid card.The only exception are prepaid cards with an IBAN - International Bank Account Number.

Your Italian bank account must have:

  • IBAN, International Bank Account Number (also known as Clabe or Aba depending on your country), which is an alphanumeric code identifying your bank account;

  • BIC, Bank Identifier Code/SWIFT, which is necessary to send money worldwide.

 To open a bank account you must have a valid ID and the Italian tax code.




“Poste Italiane" is the national mail service. Besides the traditional mail services, "Poste Italiane" also offers banking services such as checking accounts. Please check for further information on the offered services, office location and timetables.




If you are a non-EU citizen, you must apply for the residence permit within 8 working days after your arrival. You can apply at the post office of your city of residence in Italy (the ones with a Sportello Amico sign). At the post office you will be provided with  a kit containing the application form (MODULO 1) and instructions. The application for the permit to stay costs approximately €150.

In addition to the application, you must also submit the following documentation:


  1. A  16,00 € revenue stamp (marca da bollo that you can purchase at the Tobacco store);
  2. Copy of your passport with visa and personal data page;
  3. A copy of your health insurance policy; health insurance bought abroad must be validated by the Italian Embassy in your country (if not already in English). You can also buy health insurance upon your arrival in Italy;
  4. University Letter of acceptance;
  5. Proof of Financial resources to support your stay in Italy/Copy of the document “dichiarazione di assegnazione” of your Grant issued by the Italian Government.


For more information, you can check the following

We recommend that you check the list of documents to be included at the post office before submitting the application.

At the Post Office you will receive a receipt that certifies your residence permit request.  After submitting the application, you will be called for fingerprinting by your local Questura. In order to verify if your residence permit is ready to be collected, you can check either the website of the Police ( or the the Immigration portal (www.portaleimmigrazione).




At the following page LIFE, you will find information on the health insurance provided by the Italian Government, as well as the claim forms for reimbursement in case of covered injuries and sickness. We encourage you to read carefully the terms and conditions of the insurance program. Be aware that the insurance of the Italian Government shall be only provided for the  duration of the Grant. If you decide to stay longer in Italy after the end of the Grant, you should buy a health insurance.


In case of an emergency situation you can dial 118 to call an ambulance or directly go to the Pronto Soccorso (Emergency room) of the closest hospital.


Registering with the SSN is warmly recommended because it entitles you to the same treatment as Italian citizens. This includes: choice of a general practitioner, who can visit you free of charge, and who will refer you to specialists (dentists, orthopedics, etc.); admission to public or certified private hospitals free of charge; doctor on duty-continuous assistance service (guardia medica) free of charge; lower fees for tests (blood tests, radiological tests, etc.).


EU Citizens


 You are entitled through your local health authority to obtain the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which facilitates access to emergency and medical treatment that may become necessary during a temporary stay (less than 3 months) in another EU country.

You can directly access the Italian National Health Service (SSN) without paying any subscription.

For a period longer than 3 months, the registration with the Italian National Health Service (SSN) is requested. For a complete health coverage you should obtain the S1 form (see below). Application must be submitted at the Local Health Authorities (Azienda Sanitaria Locale – ASL) according to the area of residence. There are no fees and the Italian Health Insurance Card (Tessera Sanitaria) will be issued immediately and free of charge by the ASL.


Did you obtain an S1 form in your home country, before departure?


You can register with the SSN free of charge visiting one of the ATS or AUSL (local health offices). To register, take the following documents with you:


  • self-certificate of enrollment;

  • Tax code (codice fiscale);

  • copy of your passport/ID card;

  • S1 form (issued by the health authority in the EU country where you are entitled to healthcare).

Non-Eu Citizens


Registration with the Italian National Health Service can be done by submitting the application at a Local Health Authority (ASL) according to the city of residence.


Documents requested for the registration of non EU citizens:


  • Resident Permit or the application receipt from the municipality or self-certification;

  • Valid Identity Card and/or Passport;

  • Tax code (codice fiscale);

  • Payment of € 149,77 to the Postal Office on c/c n. 370007;

  • Certificate of enrolment in a legally recognized university or self-certification.

For further information on the Italian Healthcare system follow the link




All phone services are provided by different companies which offer various services and rates depending on the time of the day, the type of call etc.

Most houses have a fixed telephone line but mobile phones are extremely popular. Mobile phone services are offered by different companies at various rates. All companies have the possibility to activate prepaid cards (the cheapest possibility) or contracts.

To sign up with one of the companies you need:


  • A valid ID card or passport;

  • Your Tax code.

It usually takes a few hours to activate your card.




In case of emergency or assistance you can dial 112 (one-one-two), single European emergency number. Callings will be directed to a single Assistance Unit, which will get you in contact with the competent authority, such as:





Italian universities have student services and housing offices that manage university housing facilities and can provide information also on renting student apartments, which are generally more affordable than accommodation on the private market. Common types of university accommodation are university dorms (residenze universitarie and case dello studente), university guestrooms (foresterie – usually for short stays), and university colleges or residences (collegi or residenze universitarie).


For further information check the following link


Admission to university residencies is usually based on selection on the basis of the student’s financial status and on merit. It's common that students rent a room rather than the whole apartment.

Student housing in Italy is more expensive in bigger cities and can range from €300-600 a month, depending on the size and location.


Please note that  Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation cannot help you finding an accommodation.




With reference to the Grant payment, you will receive three-monthly installments. The first installment will be transferred only after the University will send us proof of your enrollment.

Please be aware that the first installment will not be transferred immediately. You will receive the last one only after we will receive a transcript of exams or a letter of your supervisor from your host institution.

If you require any further information or assistance, do not hesitate to get in touch with the contact person for your country at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation. The complete list of contacts can be found on the "Call for applications" page.